Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pink is in!

When legendary Vogue editor Diana Vreeland declared "pink is the navy blue of India", she meant people in India wear bright colors, and approach the color pink like folks in the US approach the color navy. In other words, Indians use a lot of pink. She was right. We Indians love our bright colors, and it seems of late that we love our pinks! Not the subtle pastel shade of pink, or the cutesy baby girl pink. No, we like the deep, intense, in-your-face shocking pink! 


For the longest time I avoided anything pink, it was too bourgeoise for my refined tastes...or so I thought. I mean, pink was for people who didn't know anything about color trends and color theory and interior design. Why would anyone choose pink when there were creamy whites and khakis and sage greens and lovely blues and taupes!! I shunned pink. But now the color seems to be taking its revenge and assaulting my senses with a vengeance! At the clothing store I reach for anything pink, at the flower shop I seem to unconsciously gravitate towards the dusky pink dahlias and gerberas, I am loving silver jewellry with pink stones, I just changed my cushion covers to pink silk, I have my eye on a set of deep pink mugs at the store.....!! And from what I see and read I am not the only one mesmerised by this exotic color. If what I see in magazines and stores and catalogs is any indication, pink is taking the world by storm along with its beautiful sister, the color purple! Arch at Rang Decor just posted an article on pink and purple, and Maryamm at My Marrakesh just bought herself a gorgeous deep pink Morocan caftan...! 


So this post is my ode to "pink". It is also for my mother, who has always been a huge fan of pink, and always the brunt of my merciless teasing!! Her bedroom has deep pink curtains, she has a pink paisley bedspread, she has pink accessories in her bathroom, I did a painting with pink lotuses for her, even her headphones for her portable DVD player are PINK! So Ma...enjoy this!


All things pink in my home.....




buddha

14 comments:

Rekha said...

Awesome clicks Kamini, the first pic is my fav, i am dying to get hold of a buddha like that.

Unknown said...

beautiful pics!! i especially love the way you have displayed your pretty bangle collection rather than letting it sit inside a cupboard. And i LURVE pink...have always..will always,...all shades bright & pale!

Anonymous said...

Such gorgeous pics.. Kamini.. this is a weird post... (like you read my mind). I have the same runner and was going to use it in time for Diwali... I dont know if you read my post.. about going... pink & purple.. :-)

http://coloursdekor.blogspot.com/2010/09/table-beauties.html

Plus I'll post some pics tomorrow.. come have a look.. :-) Im going pink & purple as well..

Emreen said...

Luv the pics... - especially the lotus, the buddha and the bangles... very nice photography...

GB said...

Here's my theory on pink: I think these warm colors, the super-saturated hues (and white) look best against our skin color. That is why they're so popular in India and in other countries with people of deeper skin tones. I personally love rani pink and i find that pastels make me look sallow. Just a theory, nothing racist here, just accepting the fact that beauty comes in all shades and we do anything to enhance it. + pinks and purples look so royal and rich!

Here's to color!
Love love love that lotus and the picture!

Kamini said...

Rekha - thanks. I found that Buddha at a store here in Hyderabad, called Mulberry. Cost me an arm and a leg so I guard it dearly.
Prachi - well, the bangles are displayed, yes. But I hardly wear them...but you're right, better outside than in a closet :-)
Patty - yes, saw your post, I guess we're all in a pink/purple phase, yay! I thought it was an age related thing...but all you young uns also seem to like it :-)
Emreen - thanks, am really trying hard to improve at picture taking.
GB - you're right and nothing racist about your comment. But what's interesting is that there are other countries with similarly skin-toned people that do not embrace these colors like we do, and countries with dissimilarly skin-toned folks who love these colors like we do. So I think our royal cultural heritage also has something to do with it. All those images of maharajas and maharanis lounging in their beds, eating grapes...dressed in luxurious pink and purple silks!!! I think we always tend to like colors that look good on us. For the longest time I was into red and maroon, now its pink and purple!
BTW, lotuses and water lilies look very alike and not to nit pick here...but that flower is a water lily!

Sound Horn Please said...

Lovely lovely photos!

PreeOccupied said...

Beautiful. Pink is driving me craaaaazzzeeee...The runner is so prettyyyyyyyyyy.

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

beautiful images kamini.love the second image and the last one very much.lovely,think i need to do something,all are going pink or purple....will wait for more...

Sruthi said...

so beautiful!!like the buddha & flower clicks.

Sharon said...

Gorgeous post, Kamini!

I was like you - once upon a time:) Blogging has changed my attitude to pink - I want a hot pink cushion for my living room, now. But you know the prob? I want just the right one, and i am taking ever so long making up my mind!:) Off to see the other pink posts now!

My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, these are fabulous!! I know what you mean about Pink!! You sound like me :-)

Komali Nunna said...

Beautiful pictures, Kamini. Love that Budha statue.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics Kamini...Loved your Buddha, so very sensuous, earthy, and teh features are so sharp and distinct, so also the earring and hair braiding.
I am not a Pink person, more of a red-orange-yellow-cream person, but having second thoughts seeing your pictures...
Keep posting-love my morning mantra...:-)